The Williams School
is located in New London, Connecticut, midway between New York and Boston.
The school opened in 1891 as Williams Memorial
Institute (WMI), which remains the legal name of the school. It was privately
endowed by a bequest of real estate and personal property from the estate
of Harriet Peck Williams as a memorial to her son, Thomas W. Williams II.
WMI served as the high school for girls of New London and several surrounding
towns. Tuition for attending students was paid by the City of New London
and other towns. With the opening of New London High School in 1951, the WMI program became college preparatory
rather than comprehensive. In 1954, the school moved to its present location
on the Connecticut College campus. A middle school was added in 1955.
In 1971, the school became coeducational. The school remains a day school
and the present student population of approximately 260 students historically
draws from more than 40 communities.
The former home of Williams Memorial Institute now operates as one of
the courthouses in the Connecticut State Judicial system, which includes
archival postcard images and a brief history on its website at http://www.jud.ct.gov/external/kids/history/postcards/NL-GA.htm. The building is also listed on Historic Buildings of Connecticut.