This timeline is a work-in-progress,
if you have major school events to add and/or pictures to share,
please email Robin Cook, Director of Information Services.
     
Williams Memorial Institute opens "for the promotion and advancement of female education" with 150 students in Williams Hall

 1891

 
 

1891-1938

Colin S. Buell - 1st Principal
 WMI provided a public school education for all young women of New London and the surrounding communities.

1891-1906

 
 

1892 

First Graduation with 25 young ladies
 First Commencement held for 25 graduates

 1892

 
 

1906 

New London opened the Manual Training & Industrial High School (eventually known as the Chapman Tech High School)
 Alumnae estimated at 568 with 265 graduates in the teachin field, 31 graduates with 4 year degrees and 7 more enrolled in 4 year degree programs

1911

 
 

1917

Misses Theodora and Virginia Palmer donated the funds to buy the Harris Residence adjacent to WMI and it was opened as Palmer Hall
Palmer Hall opens as a second building for WMI

 1919

 
 

1929

Groton builds their own high school and withdraws financial support for their girls to attend WMI
 Enrollment was 600 students

1930

Enrollment was 600 students
 

1932

Buell Hall is built to help with the crowding of 600 students into the original two buildings. It housed the cafeteria, offices, classrooms, gymnasium, and an auditorium (seating for 1139)
Jerome Burett - 2nd Principal

1938-1946

 
 

 1946

Acting principal Mary Talcott (alumna, English Department head, dean of students) guides the school for 1 year
 Williams Memorial Institute becomes an independent school

1950

 
 

1950

In December, Bulkeley & Chapman Tech sell to the city of New London forcing WMI to become tuition funded within the next four years (1950-1954)
 Gertrude Moon - 3rd Principal, helped guide the school through changes in the local school systems to the re-location to the Connecticut College campus

1947-1956

 
 

1954

On February 18 A Memorandum of Agreement with Connecticut College. During the December recess, the school (125 girls in grades 7-12) moves into the new building on the south side of Connecticut College campus.
During the December recess, the school moves into the new building on the south side of Connecticut College campus - 125 girls in grades 7-12 moved to the new building

 1954 - 1955

 
 

 1955-1956

 7th & 8th grades added
Dr. Evelyn Page - 4th Principal and assistant professor of English and History at Connecticut College

1956-1960

 
 

1960-1963

Catherine Oakes - 5th Principal
 Marion H. Hamilton - Headmistress (6th school leader)

1963-1978

 
 

1965

Parents Association Begun
 Governing Board Expanded

1964-1965

 
 

1967

The Williams School was awarded a Chapter in the Cum Laude Society
 The Alumnae Magazine was launched

1969

 
 

1971

The Williams School becomes co-ed (the 1st boys were admitted to grades 7 & 8).
 Estimated 10,000 alumnae (6605 WMI graduates)

1974 

 
 

1974

The Alumnae Magazine was named The Ambassador
 First male to graduate from The Williams School - David Desiderato '74 (a transfer student)

1974

 
 

1975

The Williams School was elected to the College Entrance Examination Board
165 Students enrolled

1975

 
 

1978-1994

Steven J. Danenberg - Headmaster (7th school leader)
Bulkeley Gym dedicated on October 19 - built in one year and one day at a cost of $650,000

 1983

 
 

1983

 School enrollment was 219 with 30 faculty members
National Merit Commendations to 8 seniors (class of 33) and 2 seniors were awarded National Merit Scholars

1983-1984

 
 

1991

The Williams School and Lyman Allyn Museum presented "The Artist Sees New London"
The Williams School celebrates 100 years of education. The graduating class numbered 48

 1991

 
 

1994-1998

Lawrence Roberts - Headmaster (8th school leader)
Charlotte L. Rea - Head of School (9th school leader) 

1998-2008

 
 

2008-present

Mark Fader - Head of School (10th school leader)
Sixth Grade added to the Middle School. Thirty 6th graders enrolled for the 2014-2015 school year

2014

 
 

2015-2016

 The Williams School Celebrates 125 years of education
The Williams School aims to foster the intellectual, moral, aesthetic, and physical development of young women and men in preparation for college, a lifetime of learning, and active participation in a changing society.