Financial Aid Philosophy
Financial aid distribution at The Williams School is designed to give qualified students the opportunity to attend Williams even if families cannot afford the entire cost. Current students and siblings who qualify will receive first preference. Williams admits students of any race, color, religion, sex, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School. It is our policy that everyone who attends Williams should pay some share of the cost of their education.
Principles of Good Practice For Financial Aid Administration
1. Williams shall not discriminate in the administration of financial aid policy due to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or age in violation of existing state or federal laws or regulations.
2. Williams shall strive through its publications and communications to provide families with factual information about the annual cost of attending the institution, opportunities for aid, and the policies and procedures for securing that aid.
3. Williams shall recognize that the primary responsibility for financing a student’s independent school education rests with his or her family.
4. Williams shall require adequate documentation of family resources when determining need.
5. Williams shall not use financial need as a consideration in determining a student’s eligibility for admission.
6. Williams shall notify accepted applicants of financial aid decisions before expecting a binding reply to the offer of admission.
7. Williams shall allow applicants sufficient time to select from the offers of financial aid from all the schools to which they have applied.
8. Williams shall not exceed in its offer of financial aid the amount needed to meet the difference between the resources determined to be available to the family and the student’s total educational expenses.
9. Williams shall not set different standards of behavior and academic performance for its financial aid recipients.
10. Williams shall continue to fund a student until graduation unless he or she no longer demonstrates need.
11. Williams shall refrain from and discourage others from disclosing the amount of financial aid awarded to a student.
12. Williams shall safeguard the confidentiality of all financial information and documentation submitted by family applicants.
Applying for Financial Aid
Williams uses School and Student Services (SSS)
to process financial aid applications. SSS is a service approved by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). Based on the financial information you provide, SSS gives us an estimated amount your family can contribute to educational expenses. This helps us make fair and objective financial aid decisions.
The Parent Financial Statement (PFS) may be completed online at https://sss.secure.force.com/familyportal
. The Williams School SSS Code is 8222. If divorced or separated, the non-custodial parent must also submit a PFS as well as the appropriate tax forms by the same deadlines. The deadline for submitting the PFS is January 1, 2019 for returning families and February 1, 2019 for new families.
Submitting Required Tax Documents
Please do not send tax documents to SSS. The following documents must be sent to the Business Office at Williams, as follows:
The Williams School
182 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320
1. A complete copy of your 2016 Federal Tax Return (including W-2s and 1099s) no later than January 1, 2019 for returning families and February 1, 2019 for new families.
2. A completed Business/Farm Statement (if applicable), along with complete business tax returns, as soon as possible, but no later than January 1, 2019 for returning families and February 1, 2019 for new families.
3. A complete copy of your 2017 Federal Tax Return (including W-2s and 1099s) by April 15, 2019 (returning and new families).
4. If your student files a tax return, please send a copy of the 2017 tax return no later than January 1, 2019 for returning families and February 1, 2019 for new families, and the 2017 return no later than April 15, 2019.
Financial Aid Awards
Notification of Financial Aid Awards for new students who have all documents submitted by the appropriate deadlines will be mailed with the acceptance packet sent by the Admissions Office. Please note that new students must apply for admission and be accepted before an award can be offered. Contact the Admissions Office with any questions. Current students will receive notification of Financial Aid Awards with annual re-enrollment contracts.
Financial Aid Awards are considered final once a signed Enrollment Contract and Financial Aid Agreement are received by the School.
Questions regarding Williams’ Financial Aid Philosophy or Process
should be directed to Kathy Trammell
, Assistant Head of School for Finance and Operations 860.439.2757.